Monday, November 06, 2006

Sunday, Sunny Day, Some Day...

Yesterday we went to Central Christian Church where we participated in a special service on Christian martyrdom. Every three minutes or so a cross was projected on the wall, growing larger and larger, then added to a tally of crosses, signifying another Christian dying for their faith. I think they said 450 die each day somewhere in the world. Worship was silent as if we were hiding from the local authorities. The message was a mix of videos about persecuted Christians and their international pastor's personal thoughts. Very moving service.

After church we went shopping for million dollar homes, because without all the hassles of religious persecution here in the US, we have time for such things. Here's Miss Cynthia standing next to a saguaro cactus out in one of the yards that's a bit taller (also quite a bit older) than she is.

The houses were brand new. They had four floor plans to choose from. I can't imagine paying a million plus for the same house as my neighbor, but hey, Cynthia says it would be easy to collaborate on decorating ideas... Here's a cool doorway into one of the model homes...

Afterwards, we stopped at Sonic Burger and ordered over a speaker with loud traffic in the background. Cynthia had to tell me what they were saying, because I couldn't hear that well. As a result I didn't get to order a rootbeer shake, and settled for plain rootbeer instead.

We went on to Old Scottsdale to shop and ran into a Greek Festival in the park. Lots of good music, dancing, and Greeks. They even had a lamb roasting over a pit of coals (I thought it was a dog, Cynthia reassures me it was a lamb. Sad either way I guess).

As we came home to our luxurious condo last night, in reflection, our day was a weird collage of the simplest life to the most complex, the hardest life to that of opulence. I'm not sure what to do with all of it. I guess the stuff I worry about probably doesn't matter a whole lot compared to seeing your kids killed by police because you wouldn't deny Christ...

No comments: